Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cool pics of All-Grain

So, this batch got started really, really fast! I'm not sure whether it's because I pitched enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch (into a 0.75 gallon batch) or because I pitched at a higher temperature (about 80 degrees), but the picture below is only 2 hours after pitching! I've never done a batch where the primary fermentation occurred in a glass bottle, so I've never actually seen the first part of fermentation. I do think it's weird, though, to see the thick sediment layers at both the top and bottom.


This picture is the next morning, about 12 hours after pitching. Bubble activity in the blow off tube has sped up a fair bit (1 bubble every couple of seconds), but the weirdest thing to me is that all of the sediment at the bottom is gone! Where'd it go? Was it processed by the yeast? Did it float to the top? How weird!!! (No, I didn't mess up and switch these pictures.)


On another note, the Imperial IPA I did (5 gallon batch) 2 nights ago is rocking along! It has to be the fastest bubble activity I've ever seen in a blow off or airlock. I'm seeing probably 2 big bubbles PER SECOND! Of course, since the OG for that batch was 1.092, it has a long, LONG way to go before it's done. Man, brewing is fun and interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment