Thursday, June 11, 2009

So, I've got two things to talk about this morning.

1. I did an Amber Rye Ale last night and it came out pretty well. The OG was a little low (1.041) because I think my mashing/sparging needs work. I'm modifying a 2 gallon water jug with a hole in the bottom. The built-in spigot wasn't very good, and coupled with my high percentage rye mash, it got stuck, so I think I lost a few points there. Also, I didn't boil down enough (had about 1.1 or 1.2 gallons wort at the end) which would also lose a few points of OG. Anyway, the point of the picture is to show that necessity is the mother of invention. I have been buying 1 gallon glass bottles to do my 1 gallon fermenting. The problem last night was that as soon as I pushed the stopper into the mouth of my new glass bottle, the mouth broke! Now, I don't know about you, but I don't like glass in my beer. So, I had to improvise. I had this on hand and it seems to be working just fine. And it's cheaper, too!




Now, the second thing I wanted to post. Here's a video of my Imperial IPA a day after brewing. Can anyone tell me what the crap is going on in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment