Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blackberry Hefeweizen Update

OK, so I've taken a little time off from drinking the Blackberry Hefeweizen. It's been about a week since I last popped one and the time seems to have helped out a lot. As I was hoping, the blackberry flavoring (2 oz. of concentrated flavoring added when I racked to secondary) has mellowed out a little bit and gone towards the back of the flavor profile. This has allowed more of the overall hefe flavor to come out, and it's now getting toward a nice marriage of flavors. It's still a little heavy on the blackberry flavoring, which seems to be a little musty when it's so strong, but it's getting better. I now have higher hopes for the other 3 gallons I bottled last week. Now, I guess I just need to give it about a month before I start drinking those.

On another note, I realized I had a small stash of batch #6 left. These were the roasty/smoky dunkelweizens I did a few months ago. The flavor is still a little off for my taste, but it's turned into a fairly solid beer. Carbonation is nice. Lacing is good. I wish it had been a standard dunkel, not roasty, but it's still good enough to keep me from buying beer instead of drinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment