Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Modified Airlock/Blow-off Solution

So, I'm gonna go ahead and show everybody what kind of blow off solution I've been taught by my LHBS. Basically, as described before, it's a modified 3-piece airlock coupled with 1/2" rubber tubing.

This first picture shows the standard, 3-piece airlock that I can get at my LHBS for $1.25. It works well, but the tip kind of limits the flow of anything except gases through it.







In this next picture, notice that both airlocks are the exact same, with the exception that the airlock on the right has had the "star" crushed off of the end. Once that is done, flow through the tip is almost as good as it gets. There is a small area near the tip (still intact on both airlocks shown) that narrows from the full gauge of the inner chamber. On other airlocks, I have cut above this so as to reduce this limitation. In my opinion, this is of negligible effect. Getting rid of the "star" is what makes the big difference.







Now, here we have the airlock inserted into the rubber grommet in the lid of my primary fermenting bucket. ½” rubber tubing has been pressed onto the outside of the inner chamber of the airlock. Everything is, of course, sanitized before being installed.












Here’s a picture of the entire blow-off solution, from bucket to catch container. Here, I’m using a wine bottle, half-filled with water. You can use water, sanitizer, vodka, etc… I use water because I check my blow off frequently, so I don’t have to worry about suck back. If water DOES get sucked back into the primary fermenting bucket, your batch could be screwed. Use caution.











A side view of the wine bottle, half-filled with water. You can see my other obsession in the background. GOLF! Yeah, baby!!! This solution also makes a nice, satisfying “glug” noise when CO2 is expelled through the water. I find that I can hear the sound into the next room, if I’m quiet. It’s cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment