Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My other hobbies... The "General" at Barnsley Gardens Resort

So, as I've made it clear, my other main obsession is golf. I'm not terribly good (17 handicap), but I love the game. I love the feel of hitting a shot pure and watching it sail. Making a 30 foot putt. Just being outdoors in the glory of nature.
Last Saturday, I had the remarkable chance to play the "General" course at Barnsley Gardens Resort, located in Adairsville, GA. If you walk in and play, the fee is $125. YIKES!!! I can't afford that kind of course, right? Wrong!
I subscribe to Last Minute Tee Times (www.lmtt.com), which is a free* service that allows golfers to book their tee times through lmtt.com, often at a large savings off of the walk-in price. In addition, every time you book through LMTT (*$1.99 per golfer, per booking by the way) you earn "yards" that you can later redeem for money off of a particular type of booking. To me, the $1.99 is definitely worth it because I've normally saved more than $2 off the price of a round already, plus I've played FOR FREE when I've redeemed yards. Also, it's nice to see, on one page, what's available in my area for singles this Saturday.
Anyway, what did I pay to play the "General?" $53.50!!!
The course was phenomenal!!! I was spoiled last year and got to play the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and also Ross Bridge in Birmingham, AL (part of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail). Those are 2 courses that are so nice they host professional events. The General is up there with them. It probably takes third place out of those three, but it is GREAT nonetheless.
This picture doesn't really do the course justice, but it was just so gorgeous I had to take it. This is on a fairly long, downhill-then-uphill par 5. It was AWESOME!

I went as a single and got paired up with 2 other guys. We had a ball even though none of us played particularly well. Still, though, it's a tough course and I shot a 90. Not too bad.

Anyway, if you love golf and nature, give this course a shot! Even the waste areas and grassy areas next to tee boxes are in pristine shape! Areas that don't (or SHOULDN'T) matter to your golf game are still well-kept. I'll be back for sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment